With record low temperatures being reported across the country, many American travelers are anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring and the warmer weather the season brings. According to the adventure travel consultants at Austin Adventures there is no bad time to travel between April and June; however the month of May is optimal for most spring-time travelers.
“We’ve been in the business of planning vacations for more than 40 years now, and May has always been a popular travel month for guests afflicted with ‘spring fever,’” says Dan Austin, founder and president of Austin Adventures (http://www.austinadventures.com/). “The savviest of travelers know this shoulder season month offers favorable weather and the best value in terms of selection and pricing, but sometimes, they need help choosing their destination.”
For that reason, the award-winning adventure travel company, which offers trips to all seven continents, has compiled a list of Maycations—timely vacations to take during the month of May. They range from domestic tours that allow travelers to hike the colorful canyons of Zion National Park to international adventures that include snorkeling along Spain’s beloved Costa Brava.
2015’s Most Compelling “Maycations”
- Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks – Seeing southern Utah’s red rock formations is a surreal experience, especially during May when the wildflowers are in full bloom. May tends to be drier than March and April, but water levels are still high (thanks to melting snow), so expect to see breathtaking waterfalls.
- Havasupai – Spring is the perfect time to take a dip in Arizona’s most sacred spring-fed travertine pools. Hike to Havasu Falls before summer’s monsoon season, and enjoy low humidity and comfortable hiking temperatures—highs in the mid-80’s and lows in the mid-50’s.
- Machu Picchu – May could not be a more convenient time to complete one of the world’s most famous mountain treks. Experience Machu Picchu in all its glory at the start of the country’s dry season and just before the summer visitors arrive in droves.
- Dalmatian Coast – The Adriatic Coast is spectacular in the summer; however, flights to Europe cost more during July and August and rooms can be hard to come by. Consider exploring this 350-mile stretch of shore during May – when temperatures are perfect for outdoor adventures, prices are lower and you’ll enjoy more personalized service.
- Catalonia – With its warm yet relatively mild temperatures, May is the perfect time for a multisport vacation in northeastern Spain. Bike the secluded Via Verde, snorkel along the Costa Brava and hike in the foothills of the Pyrenees without the hassle of high temperatures and humidity.
- Provence – Fall in love with the most seductive region of France months before the locals go on holiday. The warm days lend themselves to al fresco dining which is perfect for admiring the lush, green countryside from the comfort of a roadside café.
- Romantic Road – There’s no better time than May to ride along the Middle Ages’ most famous and scenic, trade routes. May marks the beginning of the region’s unofficial “festival season” so it’s not hard to come by cultural entertainment, authentic food and unforgettable German beer!
- Holland – Head to Holland in mid-May, and you can walk among millions of blossoming flowers at Keukenhof—a.k.a. the “Garden of Europe.” The theme for this year’s eight-week-long event is Van Gogh, 125 Years of Inspiration.
For adventurers looking to take Maycations that are a little more “off the beaten path,” the company offers custom vacations and exclusive departures. All of the 2015 trips can be found in the Austin Adventures award-winning adventure vacation catalogs and on the company’s new website, www.austinadventures.com. Vacations both pre-set and custom can be arranged by calling (800) 575-1540(800) 575-1540 FREE or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.